This week the guys have had a lot of homework, projects,
and tests. It is always a stressful week
for our guys. With 3 JV games this week,
we have shortened things up a little bit.
We had a 45 minute practice on Wednesday, and will have another short one
today, as we travel to Gustavus in the morning for a JV/V game. Gustavus always is a tough game. They have another tough team this year. They are a nice physical team with big
guards. It will be a great challenge for
our team.
Last week, was one of the best weeks we have had in our
program in a long time. We went 3-0 and
played well all 3 nights. The best game
was on Friday night at Northwestern in St. Paul. They came in at 5-0 and had some real quality
wins. They are an impressive offensive
basketball team. It was one of those
rare occasions, where I could tell our focus was very good in our short
practice on Thursday, and in the locker room before the game. I really thought we would play well. We played great. Offensively, we shared the basketball and
shot the basketball brilliantly. When we
pass like that, we are a very good basketball team. We had the same focus the next day, and came
home with an excellent trip. All of our
guys played well, but it was great to see Troy shoot the ball excellent last
week. He had a great rhythm about
him. I am so happy for how he has come
off his lost season last year. He does
come off the bench for us, but I love how he comes off the bench. He is a starter in my book, but he gives us a
great spark off the bench when he comes in.
At Crown, he came in and put it on them.
That is what leadership is about and he is providing that. The young guys are coming along also. Cole Darrow had an excellent week. He has improved each week, and that is all we
are asking. Alex Savage is playing very
well. Has not shot the ball quite like
he wants, but man is he a good passer and has a nice feel on the floor. Brett Heitkamp and Greg Sibenaller are
improving also. Brett guarded the 7
footer and did a great job on Saturday, and Greg always comes out with great
intensity. They are young with a lot of
potential.
We are building a new addition onto our house. I know what you are saying. Your kids leave, and NOW you add onto the
house. It doesn’t make sense, but we are
excited about it. Barb gets the bathroom
she has always wanted, and we get the walk in closet we have always
wanted. You will be able to store a
small corvette in that closet. A new
bedroom and an extension onto our family room also will come with it. And yes, I get a brand new TV. Since the room will be bigger, I get a great
big TV, and I want it to be a monster.
Am I greedy? Yes I am. If my wife gets a new bathroom, a new porch,
and a new bedroom, surely, I can expect a new TV. I hope you are watching Burn Notice on
USA. A great show, with a lot of
drama. Also the Big Bang Theory is
always our favorite.
How about my thoughts on the 138 point performance by the
player from Grinnell. I think it is a
little crazy. I don’t like keeping one
guys on one side of the floor to cherry pick, and I don’t like putting it on a
team that is very inferior like Faith Baptist was that night. And then getting a guy 108 shots in that
situation is a little crazy. But give
the kid credit, he made the shots, and he made some tough shots. And in the end, Grinnell is getting exactly
what they want. Some notoriety and big
time press. ESPN isn’t talking about BVU
basketball any time soon. They are
talking about Grinnell. That is a great
thing for them. The coaching staff at
Grinnell are awesome. They are very nice
guys and seriously what they do with their program is astounding. No one else does it, and when they try, they
don’t stick with it. Give them credit.
Jayson has a game at Pocahontas tonight, and his team is
2-1. They are off to a good start. This will be a tough game tonight, but look
forward to it. Seriously, it feels good
to yell at refs once in awhile, and you know it won’t come back to haunt
you. I do it at Gustavus tomorrow, and
there are repurcussions to a coach getting pissy. But at Jayson’s game on Tuesday, I can tell
the officials that “you are going to have to be a lot better than that
tonight.” It actually feels good to let
it out once in awhile. I did apologize
to my friends in front of me though. I
was a little loud. I shut up in the 2nd
half.
Go Beavers!!!
Coach VH
No comments:
Post a Comment