Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Welcome our Newcomers

We have had 4 practices so far and all has gone very well. We have had a couple of injuries already and will see how that progresses, but overall the guys have been great. The first couple of days are always a little ugly, but then we start to see things take shape, as we did especially last night. We have one more practice today, then we are taking a day off. I think the guys will be ready for a day off.

Our newcomers are really looking good. We have a real nice group of freshmen, and what I love the most, is that all of them are a little bit different, and play different positions.

Cole Darrow – Glenwood – Cole had a great year last year and was a 2nd Team All Stater. He is a slasher and has worked hard to make himself a better shooter. As he gets stronger, he has a chance to be very good down the road.

Tyler Kastantin – Dallas Center Grimes – Tyler is a long armed post player that needs to get a little stronger, but is a very good athlete. He is a communicator and real good defender. He played on a very good high school team last year and was their leader, that is his best attribute. He was a 2nd Team All Stater.

Greg Sibenaller – Westwood – Led the state in rebounding for most of the year last year, and was also a 2nd Team All Stater. He plays very hard and is very active on the glass. He is more athletic than I thought, and we are excited as he develops.

Alex Savage – Dowling Catholic – Alex had the most assists of any senior in 4A last year. He is a true point guard, and has had a nice first few days. Alex does not have awesome athleticism, but he is tough and always under control. He is never rattled by quickness, and I love his attitude and leadership.

Grady Gallagher – Woodbury Central – Grady had a fantastic year last year. In fact, in his last game as a high school player he scored 46. He is tough and a very good shooter. He reminds me of his uncle Marty. When I first moved to town 22 years ago, I played city league with Marty. Marty was never scared and always made big shots. As you can tell I have known Grady’s family for years, and they are Cubs Fans. I appreciate that. I am trying to teach Grady some NHL knowledge and get him fired up about my Philadelphia Flyers.

Jake Bjorkgren – Urbandale – I have a great appreciation for Jake. His cousin, Nate, played for me here and graduated in 1998, and I have known Jake’s dad, Brad for many years, as he is the Head Coach at Urbandale. Jake has a little knee problem right now, but he is a fantastic shooter. He came in right away making shots. He has had some knee issues the last year or two, and when we get that better, we look forward to his abilities as a shooter.

Brett Heitkamp – Johnston – Brett is a developing player. He is 6’7” and still getting better. But no one blocks shots like him in our practices. He dives on the floor for loose balls, and we have high hopes for his future. He is a guy that might take a year or two before he gets on the varsity floor, as he needs to refine his overall game, but if he commits to it, I have no doubts about him.

Tyler Jass – Ankeny -- Tyler comes from a very good team last year, that made it to the Semi Finals in the State Tournament. He is a good shooter and a little bigger wing. He has mono right now and will be out for a week or two, but anxious to get him back.

Tyler Pleiss – Omaha Ralston – Tyler transfers into our program as a Junior. He plays hard and is a physical wing. He will play for us before he gets done here. He is a very nice guy and fits in very well with our guys. We look forward to his development.

Chad Francis – Pocahontas – Chad was at Iowa and transferred in this year as a sophomore. He is a point guard and knows the game very well. I played with Chad’s uncle in college and have known his dad and grandparents for many years.

We are glad to have all these newcomers in the program. We have 28 guys total, and not one of them doesn’t belong out there. This is a solid group of players and people. We are excited about our team and have high expectations for a great year.

Are we really going to have to wait for Theo Epstein this long to be our GM for the Cubs. I am tired of a bunch of rich guys arguing over spilled milk. My Flyers are also off to a great start. Jaromir Jagr is a great addition to the team.

Go Beavers!!

Coach VH

No comments:

Post a Comment